Say the Point and Verse out loud together.
No more excuses. It’s time to grow up!
James 4:17 NLT
Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and
then not do it.
1. What does this verse teach you? Answers will vary.
1. In the Bible story, how did Samuel show he was
mature? He answered right away when he heard his
name even though he was asleep.
2. What responsibilities do you want to have?
Answers will vary.
3. What do people miss out on when they make
excuses all the time? New responsibilities, chances
to be a leader and a good example, etc.
4. What big plans do you think God has for you?
Answers will vary.
5. When you know what you need to do, how long
should you wait before you do it? Don’t wait. If you
know what to do, do it!
1. Share an excuse you say a lot. Ask God to help
you stop saying it this week. Answers will vary.
2. Share a responsibility you want to have. What can
you do this week to show you’re ready for that
responsibility? Answers will vary.
Ask the children to share things they’d like to pray about. Write your prayer request so you can continue to pray for your family during the week. Pray together, give them a chance to lead the prayer if they want to. Not sure what to pray?
Pray this: Dear God, please help us to do what is right and stop making excuses. In Jesus’ name, amen.
1.Make it Stick Watch ‘NO EXCUSES’: You’ll Need- beach ball, permanent makers in 4 colours, No Excuses activity supplement To Do- 1. Say: You’ve got to catch an excuse before it slips out and keeps you from doing what you need to do! This game will see how quickly you can catch an excuse!
1. Toss the shapes ball to a kid in your group.
2. Kid names the shape closest to their right thumb.
3. Group looks up the shape and its matching statement
on the No Excuses activity supplement.
4. Kids shout out if it’s an excuse or a right choice as
quickly as they can.
5. Choose a kid to explain why the statement was an
excuse or a right choice. See supplement for help.
6. Repeat the game until each kid has had a turn to
catch the ball.
7. If time allows, play the game again.
QUESTION TO ASK WHILE PLAYING THE GAME;
-How can you tell the difference between an excuse
and a right choice? Answers will vary.
-When you hear a lot of excuses, how does it make
you feel? Answers will vary.
-How would you feel about yourself if you made a
lot of excuses? Answers will vary.
2. Family Challenge ‘Memory Master Game’ see sheet attached.
3. CHALLENGE Sheet– Complete the challenge sheet and learn the BIg Point and Memery Verse to earn points towards the prize shop.