This month we’re having a backyard movie party where we’ll be singing songs, playing games, and watching clips from five of our favorite flicks! Each week we’ll learn a new lesson about being good friends from these movies and different Bible stories.
Our featured verse this month is: “A friend loves at all times. They are there to help when trouble comes.” Proverbs 17:17 (NIrV)
You’ll find videos, songs, leader guides, and prep materials below. You will all need access to the movie BIG HERO 6 this week. So grab a bean bag and some pop corn and enjoy together!
Say the Point and Verse out loud together:
I will be a friend who helps others
“A friend loves at all times. They are there to help when trouble comes.” Proverbs 17:17
1. Do you think it was easy or hard for them to carry a mat with a man on it? (Hard) Right! It probably was, but these friends wanted to HELP (pause to let kids grab fingers and then reset) their friend.
2. Do you think some people thought these friends were crazy? (Yes)
3. Do you think these friends might have wanted to give up? (Yes)
4. So how was the man able to get to where Jesus was? (His friends helped him)
5. Did something cool happen when they helped their friend? (Yes)
1.What would you do if one of your friends really needed HELP (pause to let kids grab fingers and then reset), and the person who could do something about it was only a few feet away? (Help your friend get to that person, do whatever it takes, etc.)
Ask the children to share things they’d like to pray about. Write your prayer request so you can continue to pray for your family during the week. Pray together, give them a chance to lead the prayer if they want to. Not sure what to pray?
Pray this: Jesus. Help us to be friends who help others. We love you so much! Amen.
There are lots of movies about people helping others. But you don’t have to be in a movie in order to help others! You can do it every day, and when you do help others, you are being a friend to them! So can all of you HELP me right now by repeating what we need to know today after me?
I Will Be a Friend Who Helps Others
1. Make Your Own Movie Scene: Draw a Movie scene from the Bible story or from your own life when you have been loyal.
2. Robot Build- TELL kids we’re going to compete to build robots as we see how helping others can help us, too! GIVE each child a Robot Page. Try to evenly distribute each kind of robot. GIVE each child FIVE toothpicks and FOUR marshmallows. EXPLAIN the game:
1. You are going to use your toothpicks and marshmallows to build the robot that is on your Robot Page. You can build your robot on top of your page so we don’t get any marshmallow stickiness on the floor!
2. The first person to complete their robot is the winner!
ALLOW kids to build their robots for several seconds. Wait until kids begin to notice that they do not have enough toothpicks and marshmallows to finish their robots! SAY: So could you use some HELP to finish your robot? (Yes) 2. Well, let’s see if you can help each other! Find the rest of the people who have the same Robot Page as you do! Then, sit beside them as a team. (Make sure teams are fairly even. If not, have kids move to make them even.) 3. Now, your team can all HELP each other by making one robot per team. Let’s see which team can make their robot the fastest! ALLOW kids to build one robot per team. SANITIZE kids’ hands and GIVE each child 1-2 marshmallows to eat as you ask the questions on the Robot Question Sheet. THROW AWAY used toothpicks and marshmallows, but let kids keep their Robot Pages.
3. MEMORY VERSE GAME 1. Allow kids to sit with their teams from the Make it Matter activity (everyone with the same Robot Pages). 2. Each team will come up with a voice for their robot. 3. Call on each team, having them say the verse aloud in their robot’s voice. 4. If time remains, see if kids can say the verse using the voices of their favorite movie characters! (Examples: Minions from Despicable Me, SpongeBob Squarepants, sing it like Elsa from Frozen, etc.)