Welcome to week 2 of Kid Flix. This month we’re having a backyard movie party where we’ll be singing songs, playing games, and watching clips from five of our favorite flicks! Each week we’ll learn a new lesson about being good friends from these movies and different Bible stories.
Our featured verse this month is: “A friend loves at all times. They are there to help when trouble comes.” Proverbs 17:17 (NIrV)
You’ll find videos, songs, leader guides, and prep materials below. You will need access to the movie How to Train your Dragon 2 this week. So grab a bean bag and some pop corn and enjoy together!
Say the Point and Verse out loud together:
I will be a Friend who Protects Others
“A friend loves at all times. They are there to help when trouble comes.” Proverbs 17:17
1. Who where the Israelites terrified of and why? Goliath because he was bullying them.
2. When the Israelites were in a tough situation, did David run and hide? (No, he protected them)
ACTION- STEP QUESTION
1. What kinds of things might you need to protect others from? (People gossiping about them, if they are afraid of something, etc.)
2. What are some ways that God has protected you? (Allow responses)
3. When you decide to be a friend and protect someone, how might that set an example for people who don’t follow Jesus? (They can see how you love others, they can see how you rely on God to help you, etc.)
Ask the children to share things they’d like to pray about. Write your prayer request so you can continue to pray for your family during the week. Pray together, give them a chance to lead the prayer if they want to. Not sure what to pray?
Pray this: God, Thank you that you are my defender and protector. I pray that you help me to protect and take care of my friends when I should.
1. POPCORN CORN TOSS GAME 1. DIVIDE into teams. CHOOSE a team to go first. GIVE each team a popcorn bucket and blindfold. DISTRIBUTE the bag of “popcorn” (“popcorn” is crumpled pieces of brown and yellow paper) to rest of group.
2. The two people with the popcorn buckets will wear the blindfold and stand up. The other two people on each team will kneel in front of their teammates.
3. Everyone else in the group is going to toss their “popcorn” into the popcorn buckets, trying to get in as many pieces as possible.
4. The person who is kneeling has to PROTECT their teammate from all the burnt popcorn (brown papers) by swatting them away.
5. After all the pieces of “popcorn” are tossed, the team with the most YELLOW “popcorn” is the winner! Read two situations from the YELLOW popcorn pieces in the winner’s bucket. Then, let two different teams have a turn!
2. Make Your Own Movie Scene: Draw a Movie scene from the Bible story or from your own life when you have protected someone.
3. Fast Memory Verse- Popcorn shot- Give each child a piece of “popcorn”. Allow the first child to toss the “popcorn” into the popcorn bucket while saying the first word of the verse. Continue around the circle until kids have said the whole verse. Play again, going faster or having kids close their eyes while tossing!