Hey Oasis Kids, we’re so glad you’ve tuned in today! Over the next five weeks we’ll be competing in our survivor challenges! Along with The Loop who will be talking about the spiritual disciplines of praying, solitude, reading the Bible and asking questions. These are not chores on a to-do list, but life-saving survival skills.
Designate a time and place to sit together and watch the curriculum
Gather with some snacks and a small cup of water
Say the Point and Verse out loud together:
Silence is Golden
But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer.
How Long do you think you think you could go without making a noise?
1.How did the silence in today’s video make you feel? Allow students to be honest. It might have felt boring, uncomfortable, or even made them feel more restless.
2. How do you think silent prayer time could either help calm your mind or help keep your mind calm?
3. Do you think there should be more room in your life for silence? Why or why not?
4. What does silence have to do with sensing God’s presence or feeling like He’s speaking to your heart?
5. Read Luke 5:16 NLT. Why do you think Jesus went to pray by Himself often? How do you think we can follow Jesus’ example—even when we’re in the middle of a busy season of life?
6. Where do you think you could go when you want to have some quiet time with God? Ideas: Outside, in your room, in a closet, under your blankets, etc.
7. It can take practice to get used to silent time with God—and to feel its effects begin to add calmness and rest to your body, mind, and spirit. How long do you think you could practice silent prayer for each day this week?
Ask the children to share things they’d like to pray about. Write your prayer request so you can continue to pray for your family during the week. Pray together, give them a chance to lead the prayer if they want to. Not sure what to pray?
Pray this: God, Thank you that you are always listening to me. Help me to sit and spend times of silence with you to just listen. Amen